Rich Fury for Getty Images
Jennifer Hudson looked glowing and gorgeous at the BET Awards in a dreamy monochromatic look, featuring all bareMinerals makeup — including our new skin-perfecting ORIGINAL MINERAL VEIL Pressed Setting Powder and richly pigmented MINERALIST Eyeshadows and Eyeliner.
“Jennifer’s natural beauty was the inspiration here, I wanted it to be all about Jennifer’s stunning features, keeping everything monochromatic and dreamy,” said celebrity makeup artist Adam Burrell, who also nodded to the singer’s structural Dolce & Gabbana dress with his approach. “[Her styling] was grand and powerful, yet simple, and that’s what I wanted with the makeup too.”
For this “clean, timeless, polished look,” Adam started by highlighting Jennifer’s luminous skin using vegan bareMinerals skincare. He started with skin-strengthening SKINLONGEVITY Long Life Herb Serum, layering moisturizer and eye cream to keep Jennifer’s complexion hydrated. Next, he applied primer and our long-wearing, skin-refining BARPERO Performance Wear Liquid Foundation in shade Cinnamon.
“BAREPRO is one of my favorite foundations in times where I need it to wear well over the course of many hours and be camera-ready,” said Adam. “It is full coverage, so a little goes a long way, allowing you to sheer it down. And it has a beautiful matte but natural finish.”
Next, Adam used our new ORIGINAL MINERAL VEIL Pressed Setting Powder to set the foundation and keep Jennifer’s skin fresh all night long. He then created a hazy, diffused effect using GEN NUDE Powder Blush in shade But First, Coffee focusing on the outer perimeter of the face and the hollows of the cheek. To add a subtle caramel glow, he applied BOUNCE & BLUR Blush in Blurred Buff to the apples of the cheeks.
For the eyes, Adam started by perfecting Jennifer’s brows with BROW MASTER Sculpting Pencil, and setting them with STRENGTH & LENGTH Brow Gel. He then used our new MINERALIST SUNLIT Eyeshadow Palette and MINERALIST Lasting Eyeliner in Topaz to create a gorgeous shimmering smoky eye, with a slightly elongated, diffused shape. He lengthened and defined lashes using STRENGTH & LENGTH Serum-Infused Mascara.
Adam finished things off with the perfect neutral beige lip, thanks to GEN NUDE UNDER OVER Lip Liner in shade Attitude and MINERALIST Hydra-Smoothing Lipstick in shade Insight.
“I’ve worked with Jennifer for several years now so I feel like we are in tune,” said Burrell. “She knows she will always look like the best version of herself because that is always my goal, and that’s exactly what we went for.”
Get Jennifer’s Glowing & Gorgeous Look
Celebrity Makeup Artist Adam Burrell breaks down Jennifer Hudson’s naturally radiant BET Awards beauty look — created using all bareMinerals products.
- Because every bareMinerals look starts with beautiful, healthy-looking skin, Adam began by applying SKINLONGEVITY Long Life Herb Serum, SMOOTHNESS Bare Haven Soft Moisturizer and SKINLONGEVITY Eye Treatment, a combo he “loves working on top of,” and finished prep with PRIME TIME Foundation Primer to lock in moisture before moving onto her makeup.
- Adam applied a light layer of BAREPRO Performance Wear Liquid Foundation SPF 20 in shade Cinnamon.
- Adam’s Pro Tip: “I love a fat, fluffy brush to apply foundation and the Supreme Finisher Brush is one of my go-tos. Buffing the foundation in circular motions, gradually building in small layers, gives a really polished and airbrushed finish that I love. A lot of my clients have adopted this technique from me with this brush.”
- To set the foundation and keep Jennifer’s skin fresh all night long, Adam used our new ORIGINAL MINERAL VEIL Pressed Setting Powder, adding depth and warmth by contouring with GEN NUDE Powder Blush in shade But First, Coffee, focusing on the outer perimeter of the face and the hollows of the cheeks.
- He then swept on BOUNCE & BLUR Blush in Blurred Buff for a subtle caramel glow on the apples of the cheeks and up the cheekbones.
- To finish off the complexion, he applied ORIGINAL Liquid Mineral Concealer in shade Dark 5C under Jennifer’s eyes, along the bridge of her nose, center of her forehead and on her chin — wherever needed — setting it with ORIGINAL MINERAL VEIL Pressed Setting Powder in shades Sheer Tan and Sheer Deep.
- Adam perfected Jennifer’s brows with BROW MASTER Sculpting Pencil in shade Chestnut. Then, he used a darker shade, Coffee, over the top to add dimension, creating more hair strokes and setting the hairs into place using STRENGTH & LENGTH Serum-Infused Brow Gel in Clear.
- Adam started the eye look with PRIME TIME Eyeshadow Primer, then used the new MINERALIST SUNLIT Eyeshadow Palette, applying shades Sunwarmed and Sandy all over the lid and defining the crease using Mahogany.
- Next, he applied new MINERALIST Lasting Eyeliner in Topaz along the top lash line, smoking it outwards at an upward angle using a smudger brush and blending it into the crease.
- He also applied MINERALIST Eyeliner in Topaz along Jennifer’s lower lash line and blended it out.
- As a last eye step, he added lashes and applied a few coats of STRENGTH & LENGTH Serum-Infused Mascara to her top and bottom lashes.
- Adam finished things off with a neutral beige lip using GEN NUDE UNDER OVER Lip Liner in Attitude and MINERALIST Hydra-Smoothing Lipstick in Insight.
On picking bareMinerals for the event, Adam shared: “I work on so many different people, with different skin needs and concerns and I love that I never have to worry about any bad reactions with mineral makeup as it’s free of so many chemicals. I also find mineral makeup to be extra long-wearing because of the lack of oils and waxes in it. I’ve used it successfully on 18-hour music video shoots and on location in all of the elements and have come to rely on its staying power.”