We love a dynamic, editorial look worthy of a magazine spread, but realize it can feel pretty daunting to try this at home. That’s why we called on Katie Jane Hughes, editorial and celebrity makeup artist to create easy-to-follow makeup tutorials for these three editorial-yet-approachable looks.
Using the new BOUNCE & BLUR Collection for eyes and cheeks, Katie dreamed up on-trend looks — a graphic eye, a take on watercolor makeup, and a sun-kissed all-over blush — all of which can be toned down for a subtle wash of color or layered on for more saturated pigmentation.
For each tutorial, Katie used brushes to apply our innovative bouncy powder formulas, but you certainly don’t have to. If you’re on the go or just too lazy to clean your brushes (we feel you!), you can simply use your fingers to apply each look from start to finish. Now, get yourself to a mirror and learn to create these looks — or get inspired to design your own.
- Katie began the look with the BOUNCE & BLUR Eyeshadow Palette in Dusk, using the shade Purple Twilight with the Detail Shader Eyeshadow Brush to etch a wing-like shape from the outer edge of the eye to the end of crease.
- She then pressed the shade Evening Star on the center of the lid and the shade Crimson Sunset on the inner corners.
- To transition the lid to the smoky wing, Katie buffed the shade Sepia Sky lightly into the crease.
- To touch up around the mouth and clean up the edges of the wing, she picked up BAREPRO 16-Hour Full Coverage Concealer with an eyeshadow brush.
- For the lashes, Katie layered two different mascaras: LOVE EVERY LASH Micro Defining Mascara in the roots and then LASHTOPIA Mega Volume Mineral-Based Mascara on top.
- For a slight face contour, Katie applied BOUNCE & BLUR Blush in shade Blurred Buff around the perimeter of the face, down the nose and on the apples of the cheeks.
- On the lips, she layered STATEMENT UNDER OVER Lip Liner in shade Freestyle with BAREPRO Longwear Lipstick in shade Peony.
KATIE’S PRO TIP: Apply a darker eyeshadow on the inner corners for an unexpected pop.
Diffused Watercolor Wing
- Katie started with the BOUNCE & BLUR Eyeshadow Palette in Dusk, bouncing the shade Crimson Sunset on the entire lid and diffusing the edges of the shadow with a clean eyeshadow brush.
- She then used the Expert Shadow & Liner Brush to pop the shade Harvest Moon on the inner corners of the eyes.
- To create a soft, smoky wing, Katie applied the shade Purple Twilight with the Angled Definer Brush.
- To prep for blush, she buffed the Shade & Diffuse Eye Brush with COMPLEXION RESCUE Hydrating Foundation Stick around the nose, eyes and mouth.
- Before applying blush, she brushed LOVE EVERY LASH Micro Defining Mascara through the tips of the upper lashes to lengthen and define.
- For blush, Katie mixed two shades of BOUNCE & BLUR Blush — Mauve Sunrise and Pink Sky — and used the Smoothing Face Brush to apply from the apples of the cheeks towards the hairline.
- On the lips, Katie applied BAREPRO Longwear Lipstick in shade Nutmeg with an eyeshadow brush. She then created natural shadows on the edges of the lips with the STATEMENT UNDER OVER Lip Liner in shade Attitude.
KATIE’S PRO TIP: Use a fluffy eyeshadow brush to apply lip color for a blurred finish.
- For the eyes, Katie started with the BOUNCE & BLUR Eyeshadow Palette in Dawn, tapping the shade Misty Morning on the lid with her fingers.
- As a subtle smoky liner, she pressed the shade Hazy Taupe onto the lash line with the Expert Shadow & Liner Brush, followed by the shade Stormy Sky on both the upper and lower lash lines.
- She then used the Shade & Diffuse Eye Brush to apply COMPLEXION RESCUE Hydrating Foundation Stick for a brightening effect around the nose and eyes.
- For soft, separated lashes, Katie applied LASHTOPIA Mega Volume Mineral-Based Mascara from root to tip.
- To get a sun-kissed look, she used BOUNCE & BLUR Blush in shade Mauve Sunrise on the apples of cheeks and around the brown bones.
- Katie then used the Smoothing Face Brush to build up the blush intensity on the cheeks.
- For the lips, Katie used her fingertip to tap on BAREPRO Longwear Lipstick in the shade Spice.
KATIE’S PRO TIP: For impactful blush, use a dual fiber brush to build natural-looking pigment.