One of the biggest makeup myths we hear is that smoky eyes are too intimidating or too bold for everyday makeup, but we beg to differ. As celebrity makeup artist Kira Nasrat knows very well, a great smoky eye can be dressed up for a special night out, but it can just as easily be toned down for an oh-so flattering everyday neutral look.
Armed with our professional-quality makeup brushes and all her makeup knowledge, Kira shared this look, featuring perfect everyday makeup for mature skin (it works for any age though!). It includes a few clean beauty favorites, like our iconic ORIGINAL Loose Mineral Foundation and MINERALIST Hydra-Smoothing Lipstick in a complementing pink-beige hue.
So here’s your proof: a smoky eye can work on every skin type, every age and for every occasion, even if you’re just spending the afternoon at home. Take a look at Kira’s video tutorial, and follow the steps below to create your own look.
What to use to create a subtle smoky eye:
BROW MASTER Sculpting Pencil (Julie’s shade is Honey)
GEN NUDE Eyeshadow Palette in Latte
The Blender Brush
ROUND THE CLOCK Intense Cream-Glide Eyeliner in shade 8 PM
Smoky Smudger Eye Brush
Detail Shader Eyeshadow Brush
COMPLEXION RESCUE Hydrating Foundation Stick SPF 25 (Julie’s shade is Natural 05)
Smoothing Face Brush
ORIGINAL Loose Mineral Foundation SPF 15 (Julie’s shade is Neutral Medium)
Beautiful Finish Brush
LASH DOMINATION Volumizing Mascara
BOUNCE & BLUR Blush in shade Coral Cloud
Dual Finish Blush & Contour Brush
GEN NUDE UNDER OVER Lip Liner in shade Borderline
MINERALIST Hydra-Smoothing Lipstick in shade Insight
How to get a subtle smoky eye look:
- First, fill in your brows with BROW MASTER Sculpting Pencil. Use the spoolie end to brush your brow hairs up, and then fill in any sparse areas along the brow bone.
- For your eyes, use the GEN NUDE Eyeshadow Palette in Latte. Take the shade Solstice with The Blender Brush and apply it to your entire lid.
- Next, gently line the lower waterline with ROUND THE CLOCK Intense Cream-Glide Eyeliner in shade 8 PM.
- To add smoky definition, apply the shade Spirit to your upper and lower lash lines, near the root of your lashes, with the Smoky Smudger Eye Brush.
- Highlight the inner corner of your eyes by lightly tapping the shade Solstice with the Detail Shader Eyeshadow Brush.
- To finish the shadow, use your finger to apply the shade Firefly onto the center of your lids.
- Next, conceal and hydrate your under eye area by brushing on COMPLEXION RESCUE Hydrating Foundation Stick with the Smoothing Face Brush.
- Then, Swirl ORIGINAL Loose Mineral Foundation with the Beautiful Finish Brush in the foundation lid. Tap off excess powder and Buff from the center of the face outward. Using this technique to warm the minerals will ensure they don’t accentuate fine lines.
- Finish the eyes with a few coats of LASH DOMINATION Volumizing Mascara. Delicately pull your lid up and wiggle the mascara wand from the root of the lashes upward.
- Tap BOUNCE & BLUR Blush in shade Coral Cloud in a downward motion on the cheeks, and then sweep it toward your hairline.
- For your lips, line and fill in with GEN NUDE UNDER OVER Lip Liner in shade Borderline. Then, apply MINERALIST Hydra-Smoothing Lipstick in shade Insight.
For mascara application on your small bottom lashes, fold a tissue underneath the lash line.